Monday, April 02, 2007

30th March - A Date to Remember

This time last year, i was celebrating the bithday of a loved one.

This year, i am mourning the loss of one.

2 contrasting events depiciting me the two extremes of life.

On monday, the call came in. The news hit me, but it hadn't sunk in. After all, he had been suffering for a few years, part of me was relieved the Lord finally allowed him to return Home. And i was happy that i did not put off my visiting him only a few months ago despite school taking up so much of my time. Otherwise, i would have never gotten the chance to hug him again.

On monday, mum said it was alrite to stay in sch to study till thurs nite. By tuesday, i jus didn't have the concentration and discipline to do so. I was ghosting through tutorial rooms and lecture theatres. On wednesday, i finally made the trip down to his wake. Was holding back tears when i saw him lying in that wooden box. But he had peace on his face. That was comforting. Said a prayer. Went back home that nite, had to drag myself to lessons the next day.

During the service on thursday, cousins delivered beautiful eulogies. Beautiful memories of him. Sigh. Kept vigil till friday morn...

...as the coffin made its way to the cremation room, daughters and sons, granddaughters and grandsons said their last goodbyes through the viewing hall. Heart-wrenching it was. As his great-grandson Matthew said in his 4-year-old child-innocence, "byebye kong kong".

Overheard in the bus back to my grandmother's place: "Aunty Li, why u all so sad just now? no need to be sad ok?" That was from Matthew.

He was right. My grandfather is in good hands now. Finally, his time on this temporary place called earth has come to an end. His time somewhere far beyond and better in God's presence is just beginning.

Afterthoughts:
It is true that at a funeral, it is a gathering of long-lost family members. I sensed the closeness of family ties not felt at events like chinese new year or whatever else. I guessed looking down from above, my grandfather must be smiling.
Sometimes, amidst all the sorrow and tears, we fail to see the silver lining that a 4-year-old sees. Because i know the Lord takes cares of His children, even though sadness fills me, in my heart i can still smile.
Life is just a temporary assignment on earth. When it's all said and done, ashes and dust we return to. For his assignment, my grandfather passed with flying colours.

"He had fought the good fight, finished the race, kept the faith. God will reward him the crown of righteousness... ...and not only to him, but also to all who have longed for his appearing"
(2 Timothy 4: 6-9)

We love you 'kong kong'.

No comments: